Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Bling My Flip Phone (Intro - Part 1 of 3)

You can see 'Bling My Flip Phone (Part 2 of 3)' here
and 'Bling My Flip Phone (Part 3 of 3)' here.

HELLO!

A couple of days ago, I decided to make my flip phone (clamshell cellphone) a lil bit flashier~

My phone is a pink LG DLite GD570:


source
I bought this phone in 2011 as my first cellphone, and besides a few bugs here and there, I really cannot complain about the quality of the product. I bought it because I had seen a similar phone called the LG Lollipop sold in South Korea, and I thought the phone looked so cute and it was impossible for me to imagine owning a phone like this in Canada, and also I was crazy about South Korea lol.

So yeah, this summer, I started to get tired of this flip phone.
Since my phone is not on a contract anymore (I mean, it was a pre-paid phone that has been fully paid now), I could have easily bought another one. But I got a bad experience with android smartphones last summer, so since then, I promised myself to stick with my LG flip phone until I would buy an iPhone.. :'D (but that will not be anytime soon since I prefer to buy an iTouch and keep a flip phone for calls + text messages).

So I thought about pimping my LG to make it cuter to look at and less boring.
My inspiration was japanese decoden phones. I don't know if the bling phone trend started in Japan, but I initially heard of japanese phones when I first discovered you could put such extravagant decorations on your phone. That was back in 2011.

At that time, I was not really interested by overdecorated phones.. I remember falling in love with a cute Hello Kitty handmade case on Etsy. But since the case was for an iPhone (and I had an iPod touch), I could not buy it.
I guess this is wrong, but since I couldn't get it, I just decided to copy the design on my own case.. (for personal purpose only though) XD
But anyway, very average crafting skillz, short patience, and only one afternoon to do it resulted in a case that turned out really bad.


I believe the phone case on Etsy is no longer there, but I swear it looked better than this.
This case is not a success, because the Hello Kitty is shifting on the left, the bow is made out of random gems which somes are pink, there are random pink gems in the red background, some gems awkwardly superposed on each other, and a thick coat of mud pudge covers this mess. I thought that mud pudge would make the gems look shiny, but it did not do much (the gems look much shinier on the pic than in real life))..
On a positive note, I do think the Hello Kitty itself is really not bad at all (even though no nose), considering I was going freestyle on sticking the gems.

I after attempted to bling other things such as my iPod nano's (2nd gen) case (which was another fail and I cannot even find the case anymore..), a USB key (not a bad result since it was only sticking silver gems in lines -a no brainer job, but a lot of them fell out), mascara tubes (huge fail)), etc. Sadly, once it had been blinged, I hated it even more instead of liking it.

Ok let's get back to the flip phone. Actually, even though I was tired of it, I guess it was just its appeareance I was bored to look at. I mean, I still liked the keyboard, cute interior design, and it still worked really good. Also, I could not imagine buying another phone at the moment... if I had bought another one, I knew everything that had happened last summer would happen again this summer: nothing working, being indecisive, returning everything, and losing money at the end. :(
Moreover, I feel sometimes ~special~ to own a flip phone in a place where smartphones are everything. I do feel like I am standing out of the crowd sometimes -while I am perfectly conscious this does not make me any better/prettier/more awesome. Bragging about owning a flip phone would truly be a strange thing. And anyway, I am in some kind of way part of that 'smartphone wave' because I own an iPod Touch (which is, in my opinion, almost like a smartphone but just cannot make calls and have 3G/4G).

So when I took the decision to bling something that was quite important for me and that had stuck with me for a relatively long time (not 30 years but still 4 years which is decent), I thought I should improve on my crafting skillz and pimp my LG DLite to another level, in the way it deserved to be pimped.

I wanted to make my phone girly, pink, with a lot of shiny things, and super blingy (I said I used to find bling phones way too overblinged, but not anymore now). To be honest I wanted it attention-grabbing to the max LOL.
Here are the inspirations I got on the internet, just decoden phones/electronic devices I thought were lovely:

source


source


source


source


source


source


source


source
Even though it is not pink, I love how the colors look together.


source
Not really my style, but I thought the drop gems
with the little gems above gave a really cool raindrop effect.

Forgot where I took it..
If someone has the link, feel free to tell me. :)


source
Of course, I had to put Xiaxue's designs here! Very well-made.
Picture below is also by her.


source

I also went on the website Lux Addiction to see their bling phone cases. They look great!

Here are 'screen contour' ideas since I have a light on the front of my phone that I did want to keep showing.
After seeing some of these pics, I was inspired to do a heart contour made out of rhinestones for my screen too. :P

source


source


source

source
I just love how they put gems inside the heart on each border so it
covers a bit of the non-screen part. If I cannot make a heart that perfectly
fits my screen without leaving weird plain borders, I might also do this. x)

By the way, as I am writing this, I have already started to bling my LG.
I finished the bottom part on the second day I started blinging the phone, now what is left to do is the top part.. it's kinda hard since I am thinking of something but I don't know how to make it work and if it would look pretty.
I shall write my experience in making the bottom part in the next post since this one is getting pretty long. I hope I will not be too lazy to write it. ><

Ok, byebye!

No comments:

Post a Comment